Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 limiting max_connections to 64 ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sven Willenberger
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 limiting max_connections to 64 ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 13:05 -0300, eu wrote:
> Hello, i need help...
>
> i have a postgresql 8.0.3 database running on the backend of a postfix
> setup ( i didn't trust Mysql for the job ) on Linux kernel 2.6.8.1,
> serving email to a dozen different virtual domains ( including this one
> i'm using right now )...
>
> however, this setup takes a whole lot of simultaneous connections to the
> database
> ( postfix, amavis-new, clamav + spamassassin, apache+squirrelmail,
> courier-authlib and courier-imap ), all those services were configured
> to use Unix Domain Sockets, instead of TCP ( netstat -anvp showed too
> many short-lived connections were kept on CLOSE_WAIT for too long while
> connecting via TCP ), and, despite i have made max_connections on the
> postgresql.conf as high as 500, after ( around ) 64 simultaneous
> connections i start having a lot of "sorry too many clients already"
> errors on my postgresql logfile...
> then, my users go nuts complaining about how slow the server is and/or
> having to retype their passwords too many times ( of course, since
> authlib can't pick a connection to authenticate against the database ).
>
> max_connections, shared_buffers, shmmax were tweaked, but the server
> does not seems to respect the 500 max_connections...
> i *know* i'm missing something obvious, but, what could be wrong ?...
> i'm lost... any help would be most appreciated... please.

Can you post the relevent portions of your postgresql.conf file? Do you
see any error messsages when starting the database up (perhaps about
shared memory or such)? We also run a postfix mailserver (with maildrop,
courier-imap/vauthchkpw, etc) against a postgresql database with
max_connections set to 512 (FreeBSD 5.x machine). On the delivery end of
things we pool the connections from the postfix server using proxymap(8)
(which helped ease the connections load).

Sven