Re: data on devel code perf dip - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mary Edie Meredith
Subject Re: data on devel code perf dip
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 16:07 -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:53:55 -0400
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > Mary Edie Meredith <maryedie@osdl.org> writes:
> > > I'm still very concerned about what I'm seeing in the oprofile:
> > > namely:  .CreateLWLocks is the second highest entry for postgres.
> > > http://developer.osdl.org/maryedie/DBT2_PGSQL/59/oprofile.txt
> >
> > This says there's something wrong with your oprofile setup.
> > CreateLWLocks is run *once* at postmaster startup, and it doesn't
> > take all that long.  Check to see if maybe your executables are
> > out of sync with what oprofile is looking at?
>
> It is a POWER5 platform, if that has anything to do with it.  It
> certainly doesn't look sane, but for user apps oprofile is supposed to
> be getting the symbols directly from the binaries its using.  I'm
> inclined to blame the platform support. ;)

Could it have to do with the fact that I'm running in a Virtual Machine?
Maybe they forgot to change the symbols to reflect the VM's "virtual
physical address" if you get my drift.  Who do you know on the IBM side,
Mark, who could help us sort this out?