Re: Index not being used unless enable_seqscan=false - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sven Willenberger
Subject Re: Index not being used unless enable_seqscan=false
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 12:58 -0700, Shane wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 03:31:27PM -0400, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> > Right off the bat (if I am interpreting the results of your explain
> > analyze correctly) it looks like the planner is basing its decision to
> > seqscan as it thinks that it needs to filter over 1 million rows (versus
> > the 29,000 rows that actually are pulled). Perhaps increasing stats on
> > msgtime and then analyzing the table may help. Depending on your
> > hardware, decreasing random_page_cost in your postgresql.conf just a
> > touch may help too.
>
> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> I tried increasing the stats from the default of 10 to 25
> with no change.  How high would you bring it?  Also, I've
> never played with the various cost variables.  The database
> sits on a raid5 partition composed of 4 15k u320 SCSI
> drives, dual xeon 2.8(ht enabled) 2gb ram.  I suppose this
> might actually increase the cost of fetching a random disk
> page as it may well be on another physical disk and
> wouldn't be in the readahead cache.  Any idea as to what it
> should be on this sort of system?

Try increasing stats to 100 on just the msgtime column, not the default
(changing the default will only have an effect on newly created columns
-- you may want to change the default back to 10):

ALTER TABLE seen ALTER msgtime SET STATISTICS 100;

After running that command, analyze the table again and see if that
helps.

I am assuming the culprit is this particular column as your index and
search criteria is based on that one. The default random_page_cost I
believe is 4.0; on your system you could probably easily drop it to 3,
possibly lower, and see how that performs.

Sven