Re: Solving the OID-collision problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Solving the OID-collision problem
List pgsql-hackers
> I was reminded again today of the problem that once a database has been
> in existence long enough for the OID counter to wrap around, people will
> get occasional errors due to OID collisions, eg
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-08/msg00172.php
>
> Getting rid of OID usage in user tables doesn't really do a darn thing
> to fix this.  It may delay wrap of the OID counter, but it doesn't stop
> it; and what's more, when the problem does happen it will be more
> serious (because the OIDs assigned to persistent objects will form a
> more densely packed set, so that you have a greater chance of collisions
> over a shorter time period).
>
> We've sort of brushed this problem aside in the past by telling people
> they could just retry their transaction ... but why don't we make the
> database do the retrying?  I'm envisioning something like the attached
> quick-hack, which arranges that the pg_class and pg_type rows for tables
> will never be given OIDs duplicating an existing entry.  It basically
> just keeps generating and discarding OIDs until it finds one not in the
> table.  (This will of course not work for user-table OIDs, since we
> don't necessarily have an OID index on them, but it will work for all
> the system catalogs that have OIDs.)

> Comments?

Seems like a practical step, but more helpful for users of earlier
releases. Many of those users are now reaching OID wrap and will begin
to get messages like this as time continues. Not everybody *can*
upgrade.

I'd like to suggest that we backpatch this to 7.3 at least.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs