Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 11:44, Vratislav_Morkus@lmc.cz wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am sorry for a stupid easy question, but I'am PostgreSQL novice.
> Our development team has encountered problem with trying to install and
> maintain cluster (pgcluster) on our production database. So they have
> decided to switch the entire solution to MySql database.
> a) have you got any good/bad experience with administering and running
> cluster on PostrgeSQL DB?
> b) would u switch PostgreSQL to MySql (7.4 --> 4.1) and why?

I would never switch from pgsql to mysql.

Here's a short list of the reasons why:

http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

If they're having problems and haven't asked for help in these lists,
then I'm willing to be they're just looking for an excuse to change to
what they're comfortable with, and not really serious about using
postgresql.

Also, why pgcluster?  why not slony or mammoth replicator?  Both of
those are fine pieces of software that handle most replication needs.
Combine slony with pgpool and a few scripts and you've got quite a nice
cluster setup.

Of course, setting mysql up is a bit easier.  But I don't trust their
replication, and searching google for mysql and clustering and problems
or what not will tell you why.

Computer Science ain't easy, and picking a product because it seems
easier to use up front is often the worst of all decisions.