Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian escribi�:
>> Technically, you are right, but I tried a while ago to assign meaningful
>> values to all the exit locations and the community feedback I got was
>> that we didn't want that.

> That sounds odd.  Do you have a link?

FWIW, I recall that in my former life at Red Hat, I had to deal several
times with patching pg_ctl to make its exit codes more LSB-compliant.
And I think Debian does the same.  So Linux packagers, at least, would
like to see us pay more attention to that standard.  On the other hand,
there is no market for changes that make the exit codes "more
meaningful" unless the changes can be justified by chapter and verse
in LSB.