Re: Mount database on RAM disk? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Mount database on RAM disk?
Date
List pgsql-performance
> If I could get and deploy some SSD (Solid State Disk) devices that
> would make this sort of thing *actually safe,* I'd expect that to be a
> pretty fabulous improvement, at least for write-heavy database
> activity.

Not nearly as much as you would expect. For the price of the SSD and a
SCSI controller capable of keeping up to the SSD along with your regular
storage with enough throughput to keep up to structure IO, you can
purchase a pretty good mid-range SAN which will be just as capable and
much more versatile.