Re: [PERFORM] Handling small inserts from many connections. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Vitale
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Handling small inserts from many connections.
Date
List pgsql-performance

Without more information, this is my initial guess at your insert slowness problem:

The symptom of this insert slowness/delayed action is delayed, granted, extend locks (locktype=extend) due to many concurrent connections trying to insert into the same table. Each insert request results in an extend lock (8k extension), which blocks other writers. What normally happens is that these extend locks happen so fast that you hardly seem them in the pg_locks table, except in the case where many concurrent connections are trying to do inserts into the same table. The following query will show if this is the case:

select * from pg_locks where granted = false and locktype = 'extend';

If this is your problem, then some kind of re-architecture is necessary to reduce the number of connections trying to do the inserts at the same time into the same table.  My first hand problem like this goes back to 9.2, so perhaps some good stuff has happened in the newer versions of PG.   Let's  see what other good ideas come down the pike for this thread...

Regards,

Michael Vitale