postgresql, pgaccess and tcl/tk (in X11) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From daniellewis
Subject postgresql, pgaccess and tcl/tk (in X11)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I'm quite new to postgreSQL, pgaccess and TCL/TK... Here is my
scenario:

PROBLEM 1:
I'm running X11R6 on Apple X11 (on OS X 10.3.8), I want to run pgaccess
(which I have version 0.98.7 from http://ns.flex.ro/pgaccess/ ). I have
PostgreSQL (Version 8.0.1). I installed from fink; tcl/tk 8.4.1-12, and
changed the pgaccess bash script to read wish8.4. I tried to run this
and I go the following error:

Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
Error in startup script: invalid command name "image"
    while executing
"image create bitmap dnarw -data  {
#define down_arrow_width 15
#define down_arrow_height 15
static char down_arrow_bits[] = {
        0x00,0x80,0x00,0x80,0x0..."
    (file "/usr/local/pgaccess/main.tcl" line 5)

Thats my main problem.

PROBLEM 2:
I tried to fix this by downloading Tcl/Tk Aqua (TclTkAquaBI-8.4.9.1 for
Mac OS X 10.3 and later only). When I tried to load the main.tcl script
for pgaccess I got the following error:

"Error: dyld:
/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Resources/Wish
Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish Shell can't open library libpgtcl.dylib
(No such file or directory, errno = 2)"

With the following details:

dyld: /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Resources/Wish
Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish Shell can't open library: libpgtcl.dylib
(No such file or directory, errno = 2)

dyld: /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Resources/Wish
Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish Shell can't open library: libpgtcl.dylib
(No such file or directory, errno = 2)

    while executing
"load libpgtcl[info sharedlibextension]"
    (procedure "main" line 3)
    invoked from within"

I have a feeling that this is something to do with the User, I should
be logged in as postgres.

Any help will be appreciated... as I have to learn PostgreSQL for work,
which I start in two weeks time.

Thanks again.

Daniel Lewis