Re: Woops! New May quote/poll? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Woops! New May quote/poll?
Date
Re: Woops! New May quote/poll?  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-www
On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:17, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I can't help but think that question is biased since it is pre-supposes
> > that one should be against software patents.
>
> Hmmm ... your version is not terribly actionable though.  Try:
>
> Should the PostgreSQL Community make a statement against software patents
> on our web site?
>
> [] No, I favor software patents
> [] No, we're not political
> [] Yes, but low-key
> [] Yes, as big as possible

Hmm... I tend to think my version is actually more actionable. Most of
the reasons I hear that people are against software patents are related
to how our patent system is run, not that people are against the idea of
patents as a whole.

The reason I think this distinction is important is because even if a
lot of people say we should make a big statement against software
patents, a lot of people would probably grumble about particulars of the
wording.  I think that with my wording, the focus is narrow enough that
people could probably reach a consensus.

I guess this assumes that people actually think about these types of
issues and aren't just zealots, but perhaps I am misreading things. Let
me know which way you want to go and I'll slap it up there.

Robert Treat