Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove replicaiton FAQ item. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Mischa Sandberg
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove replicaiton FAQ item.
Date
List pgsql-docs
Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>:

> Mischa Sandberg wrote:
> > About all you can say is, it is not possible to implement
> synchronous
> > master-master replication, because of conflict resolution of
> > simultaneous transactions.
>
> You mean asynchronous master-master?  There are some implementations
> (Sybase?, pgreplicator) that do this and have conflict resolution.

Forgive my kibitz, then; perhaps my head has been stuck in sand a
while. You're right, I forgot about the nicer bits of Sybase
RepServer. Synchronous replication was scratched early in the project,
because two-phase commit took too long across a dozen db servers.

Pgreplicator advertises itself as a "store-and-forward asynch replica
(sic) engine." (quoth http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/ )
--
"Dreams come true, not free." -- S.Sondheim, ITW