Re: Problem with PITR recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Re: Problem with PITR recovery  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 13:41 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > I guess I didn't see the connection between the file system backup and
> > > the WAL files, when in fact you need the WAL files that go with the file
> > > system badckup to do the recovery.  Do you have new suggested text?
> >
> > I think it probably needs to mention *both* the tar dump and the WAL
> > segment file(s).  I can take a whack at it if you like.
>
> I modified the sentence to say:
>
>     Once you have safely archived the file system backup and the WAL segment
>     files used during the backup (as specified in the backup history file),
>     you can delete all archived WAL segments with names numerically less.
>
> Feel free to whack it a second time.

whack...
...you can delete all archived WAL segments with names numerically
less.

but I'm not sure it's best practice to delete them at that point. I
would recommend that users keep at least the last 3 backups. So, I'd
prefer the wording
...all archived WAL segments with names numerically less will no longer
be needed as part of that backup set. You may delete them at that point,
though you should consider keeping more than one backup set to be
absolutely certain that you are can recover your data.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs