Re: CREATE TYPE and %ROWTYPE - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Steve Tucknott
Subject Re: CREATE TYPE and %ROWTYPE
Date
List pgsql-novice
Tom,

Can I also clarify:
If I want to return a record area (row) from a table I cannot use:
RETURNS RECORD or
RETURNS tableName%ROWTYPE

But I can return a record area (row) If I first define the row as a
custom type then use:
RETURNS customType

Am I missing something here? Why do I need to define a custom type to
return a row?

What I am trying to do is to define a set of standard lookups in the
database that return the complete record area of the table(s) being
queried.