Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Ian Westmacott
Subject Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 00:41, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> We'll only answer if you do a write-up on your database. :P
>
> Seriously, those are some seriously big numbers. What else is the
> database doing? What hardware is it running on?

We run on a dual 3.2GHz P4 with 2GB RAM, but are still
finalizing the storage hardware.  We've tried various
flavors of RAID, filesystems and volume management (and
are anxious to try out tablespaces in 8).  We've found
fragmentation to be our largest limiting factor.  XFS
helps with that, and seems to provide the highest
sustained throughput on raw tables, but its not the end
of the story since fragmentation is still high.

            --Ian