Re: [GENERAL] plPHP in core? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [GENERAL] plPHP in core?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 17:03, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 04:48:50PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > If by "stripped down" you mean without postgresql database support then
> > I'll grant you that, but it is no different than other any other pl
> > whose parent language requires postgresql to be installed.  If packagers
> > are able to handle those languages than why can't they do the same with
> > PHP ?
>
> Because those other languages are well designed and PHP is not.  The
> Postgres support package for Perl is a completely separate add-on, which
> you can add well after the core of Perl is installed.  Same for Python.
> But PHP is a braindead package which includes the Postgres support in
> the main codebase.
>
> The problem is that even if you could build a Postgres support package
> for PHP without building the whole PHP (which you _can_ do AFAIK), it
> means that you need to make a second pass at the PHP source RPM, which
> will be probably rejected by packagers.

ISTM this is a problem with the packaging as much as it is with PHP, but
in neither case is this a problem for PostgreSQL. ISTM decisions as to
what is included in PostgreSQL core should not be based on the design
decisions of one vendors packaging scheme IMHO.