Re: Hot Issue - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Hot Issue
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Gauri Kanekar
>> Is there a way to check if the page is fill and the update is going on a new
>> page ??

> IIRC, I don't think so.

You could make your application check to see if the page part of a row's
CTID changes when it's updated.  But there's no centralized counter
other than the one you are already looking at.

I personally found the original post completely content-free, however,
since it gave no context for the two sets of numbers we were shown.
Over what intervals were the counts accumulated?  Were the stats
counters reset after taking the first output, or does the second output
include the first?  What exactly does the OP think that "better HOT
performance" is, anyway?

            regards, tom lane