save me from an unconstrained join - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Robert Treat
Subject save me from an unconstrained join
Date
List pgsql-sql
It actually does what I want... but it offends my database
sensibilities... :-)

Heres the basics of the tables involved:

CREATE TABLE bds_filesize (   bds_filesize_id serial   name text NOT NULL,   byte_limit integer NOT NULL,   slots
integerNOT NULL

);

CREATE TABLE software (   software_binary_id serial,   binary_file oid,   filename text,   filesize integer,   checksum
text
);

query:

select software_binary_id, min(byte_limit)
from bds_filesize, software_binary
where byte_limit > filesize GROUP BY software_binary_id;

Basically each software is assigned a "class" based on the size of its
binary into a predetermined range of classes that are defined as
relative filesizes. The above query really does work... but istm I ought
to be joining those tables somehow... any ideas?

Robert Treat