Re: prelimiary performance comparison pgsql vs mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: prelimiary performance comparison pgsql vs mysql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 14:07 +0100, tony wrote:
> > by the time 3 clients are running, postgres is getting through the
> > queries 1.90/1.34=1.42 times faster
>
> That is very interesting!!!
>
> I have several webapps on my server each one opens several queries to
> the database from _each_ JSP - often more than three... So the hunch
> that I had all along was right: PostgreSQL is a much better back end for
> Tomcat/JSP than MySQL.

Be careful assuming that. DB benchmarks are hard to do in a general
sense. His results probably indicate a general trend, but you should
test your application yourself to get a real result. His pattern of SQL
queries might be very different from yours.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis