Re: PostgreSQL training - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL training
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 15:23, Alex Adriaanse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on an application for a client that uses PostgreSQL as its
> database backend.  The client wants to train their team on PostgreSQL so
> that they can maintain the application and the database themselves after
> it goes live should they need to.  As far as I know the majority of them
> don't have any experience with databases (other than using applications
> that rely on them of course).  The type of training that they would need
> would need to cover generic database concepts (database design, SQL), as
> well as PostgreSQL-specific information (mostly database administration,
> maybe some performance tuning).
>
> They can travel anywhere within the US to take the training.  I noticed
> there were a few training events posted on postgresql.org, but only one
> of them is within the US (PostgreSQL Bootcamp, next month), and I'm not
> sure if that course would offer the right type of training for them (I
> think they'd need something more elementary).
>
> Do you guys have any suggestions as far as training is concerned
> (training events throughout the year, companies that do PostgreSQL
> training, etc.)?

My first recommendation would be to see if attending OSCon is an option
for them, since there will be a number of classes at different levels
that they could attend, plus they would get the chance to meet other
postgresql users and developers.

If that doesn't work, try contacting some of the bigger support
companies like Pervasive or SRA who both have intentions of doing
training services so they might have something for you.

Next up would be any of the smaller support companies listed at
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/companies.php, many of whom offer
training courses that might fit what your looking for.

If you still can't find anything then, given enough dollars, I'll do a
weekend crash course for you guys ;-)  Actually I should mention a
disclaimer here in that afaik the Nerd Ranch guys can go either "fast or
slow" on the course depending on the aptitude of the students... if your
going to be sending multiple people it wouldn't hurt to talk with them.

HTH

Robert Treat