Re: Licensing - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robby Russell
Subject Re: Licensing
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 11:17 -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:57:06 -0800 Robby Russell <robby@planetargon.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't think that this is completely accurate. For instance, PHP is
> > licensed under the PHP license, not GPL. So, according to your
> > statement, you cannot use any of the PHP Pear libraries (which are
> > typically PHP license) without a license from MySQL?
>
> if memory serves, the PHP folks pitched a fit over MySQL licensing
> changes, and the fine folks at MySQL AB did some tweaks to
> accomodate them.
>
> as far as point 2 goes, MySQL AB only claims you need to buy a
> commercial license if you plan to distribute your code under a non
> GPL license, for some rather ill defined notion of "distribute".
>
> richard

Perhaps the bigger problem with their licensing model is that hardly
anyone completely understands what they can legally do and not do with
MySQL...

-Robby
* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---