Re: PostgreSQL users on webhosting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: PostgreSQL users on webhosting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 13:52 -0500, Jeff wrote:
[snip]
> You'd have to have separate shared buffers for each which would eat
> away from the filesystem cache.   Not to mention overhead of having
> many more PG's running (in terms of just processes htat need to be
> managed and memory used by each).

True. Those are the costs.

> You'd also have to have the users
> connect to PG on an alternate port and that may irritate some.

You can also use unix local domain sockets. I'm not sure if that gains
much, but most web hosts don't allow tcp/ip connections anyway.

> In a web hosting (multi-user) environment it may make more sense. but
> you could also just give each user his own db and only allow sameuser
> access to each db via pg_hba.conf.

I would like to add that there are risks associated with doing that. If
one user fills up the disk (like with an infinite loop in a web app)
than that affects all database users, since it's running as the
"postgres" user. No more commits can happen at all.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis