Re: SET ROLE and reserved roles - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SET ROLE and reserved roles
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wednesday, April 13, 2016, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well ... yeah.  But that doesn't mean it should be impossible to SET
>> to that role itself.  I'm a little worried that could create strange
>> corner cases.

> Being able to create objects owned by a default role was one of those
> strange corner cases I was trying to avoid.

If you want to prevent that, I think it needs to be done somewhere else
than here.  What about "ALTER OWNER TO pg_signal_backend", for instance?

But perhaps more to the point, why is it a strange corner case for one
of these roles to own objects?  Isn't it *more* of a strange corner case
to try to prohibit it?  Certainly the bootstrap superuser owns lots of
objects, and I don't see why these roles can't.