Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I have negotiated with the author of pl/Ruby to release plRuby under the
> PostgreSQL license. The reason I did this is the following:

> 1. I felt we needed a truly OO language in core.
> 2. plPython isn't really moving forward and has the whole
> trusted/untrusted issue.

Hmm.  I read this as
Problem: not enough hackers to maintain our PL languages.
Proposed solution: add more PL languages.

Somehow this doesn't seem quite right.

If pl/ruby is going to get into the core, it should be because of demand
for it based on its own merits.  I don't think this has got anything to
do with pl/python.