Re: [Testperf-general] Re: ExclusiveLock - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [Testperf-general] Re: ExclusiveLock
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 16:14, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 22:55, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> If it is a problem, the LockBuffer calls in RelationGetBufferForTuple
> >> would be the places showing contention delays.
>
> > You say this as if we can easily check that.
>
> I think this can be done with oprofile ...

OK, well thats where this thread started.

oprofile only tells us aggregate information. It doesn't tell us how
much time is spent waiting because of contention issues, it just tells
us how much time is spent and even that is skewed.

There really ought to be a better way to instrument things from inside,
based upon knowledge of the code.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs