Re: A modest proposal: get rid of GUC's USERLIMIT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: A modest proposal: get rid of GUC's USERLIMIT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 23:05 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew McMillan wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > >
> > > Sure.  As I pointed out in the other thread, if you want to allow an app
> > > to do this, you can make available a SECURITY DEFINER function that
> > > performs the desired SET on its behalf.  By setting execute permissions
> > > on the function and/or including restrictions in the function's code,
> > > you can make this as tight or as loose a loophole as you like.  So it's
> > > certainly possible to do what you want in any case.  I think the issue
> > > at hand is what's appropriate to provide as hard-wired functionality.
> >
> > That sounds excellent - I hadn't realised that this workaround would be
> > possible, and indeed with this in place that will provide even better
> > control over the facility.
>
> OK, here is one vote for the ALTER USER/remove USERLIMIT croud, and you
> were the person who originally mentioned the problem.  You don't think
> the function creation is hard.  Perhaps that's the way to go then.

Yes, I agree - it seems good.

Also, I don't see that this function would need to be "written under
stress" as ISTR you suggested elsewhere - any analysis like this is
going to be following on from review of other statistics - I think it
would normally be a well-planned process.

Cheers,                Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267             How many things I can do without!
--Socrates