Re: Documentation on PITR still scarce - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Documentation on PITR still scarce
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 15:03, Joachim Wieland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:13:34AM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > The timeline code only comes into effect when you request an archive
> > recovery. If you do not, it has no way of knowing it "should have".
>
> Ok. However these details should be added to the docs as well.
> At least a short warning should show up in 22.3.3 7.

I agree. I'm thinking of other solutions/options also. Please feel free
to suggest one.

> > Once you have brought up a database in timeline N+1, you can't use it as
> > the base to recover to a point in timeline N because the data file
> > contents cannot be trusted to be identical to the way they were in
> > timeline N.
>
> You mean "in timeline N ... to a point in timeline N+1", don't you?

Specifically not. The point is: you can't go back in time. Recovery is a
rollforward operation, so you must start at an earlier point and
rollforwards from there.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs