Re: [GENERAL] Question on the 8.0Beta Version - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Question on the 8.0Beta Version
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 00:59, Davide Negri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have installed postgres 8.0 beta3 as a program on my pc on windows
> xp. I have read on the installation note file that postgres server
> will not run with administrative permissions. I have read on your
> forum that this happened because i have installed the beta version: is
> it true that this happen only with the beta version? When will you
> plan to release the production version?

I think you may have misunderstood the docs.  PostgreSQL doesn't run
under any account that has machine admin / root privelages because that
makes any small security issue in postgresql into a root level exploit,
and that's a bad thing.