Re: Message-ID as unique key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: Message-ID as unique key?
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 17:11, Csaba Nagy wrote:
> No, it's not a global unique identifier.
[snip]

Hey, you know what ? Good that I read this thread :D
I'm in the process of writing a Java SMTP server, and had no clue about
this rule... although I have read a few times the relevant RFC. It's
true that currently I don't touch the mail, I just use internal IDs
which I don't care if they are not globally unique, but if those IDs
would have made it to the final product in some mails, there would have
been some chance for collisions... as some other poster said, there is a
good chance of non-conforming MTAs to be out there.

Cheers,
Csaba.