Re: Applying new design - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Applying new design
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 14:14, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Robert Treat wrote:
> >>As usual, the results are available at http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/
> >>
> >>I also took the opportunity to create a simpler and more consistent
> >>navigation (although it's not yet finished).
> >>
> >>Praises, comments and texts to replace "blah-blah" are most welcome.
> >
> > If it's not too much trouble can we stick with the original navigation
> > for now? I hate to change the navigation without actually doing some
> > real site re-architecture.
>
> If I add all the stuff which is currently in the left and right columns to the
> right, it will take 5+ screens to scroll.
>
> Therefore, I suppose "What is", "Licence", "FAQ", "Case studies" stuff should go
> to the "Welcome" part of the home page and "Quick Help", "Contact the
> webmasters", "Report a bug" will go to the (currently missing) "Support" page.

What do you mean by the "welcome" part of the home page? Do you mean a
main introductory paragraph describing postgresql?  I think your right
in that you could work in all of those links into such a paragraph.

<snip>
> > Also make sure that downloads points to the ftp mirrors page, and that
> > mirrors points to the www mirrors page, right now they both point to the
> > ftp mirrors.
>
> You are wrong, they do point to different pages. Though the mirrors are outdated
> in the DB beta site uses and it's difficult to tell. :)

No, the problem is when you go to
http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/mirrors you get the following:
--
Please select a download mirror:

We could not query the database or no mirrors could be found!

Download PostgreSQL from the primary site
--
so that needs to be fixed.

> > We also need to move the language preference up to the top of the
> > screen, i think a drop down where you currently have the search box
> > would probably work.
>
> This is a waste of space. Bear in mind that the actual visitors will face a
> static mirror of the site and the language will be selected by Apache's content
> negotiation *on every page request*.

Ah... ok.  The issue was that users who don't speak english can't be
expected to find their way down to the links on the bottom of the page.
If content negotiation will take care of that it works for me.

<snip>
> > Can you replace the what is? text with the following:
> > "PostgreSQL is a highly-scalable, sql compliant, open source
> > object-relational database management system. With more than 15 years of
> > development history, it is quickly becoming the defacto database for
> > enterprise level open source solutions."  (yes, it's marketing fluff,
> > but we need to say who we are and what we do right on the main page)
>
> You mean the "Welcome" part?

I didn't, but I guess I do now. Need to add in phrases about bsd license
and the other links from above.

Robert Treat