Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jason Sheets
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Over the last 4 years I've developed 5 major tools for an enterprise R&D
environment, my immediate supervisor comes from an Oracle background and
consistently tells me I should move our tools to a database, he is further
encouraged because our customer has a site license for Oracle. PostgreSQL
has more than met our requirements and there are more reasons to move stay
with PostgreSQL than to move to Oracle, I've been working on him and he is
starting to come around.

Fortunately I own the tools and so unless a major management decision is
made or we begin requiring Oracle features we are staying with PostgreSQL.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Rod Taylor
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 5:21 PM
To: Peter Eisentraut
Cc: Andrew Sullivan; Andrew Sullivan; Postgresql Advocacy
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to work on Press Release 8.0

> I've been to several conventions and exhibitions of highly varying
> kind, and I've never heard anyone say, "we would like to use
> PostgreSQL, but our misinformed boss won't allow it".  It's always
> about, when is this

Actually, my current employer has the fear that using PostgreSQL (rather
than an Oracle, DB2, etc.) will devalue the company when the time comes to
sell it. He's been quietly pushing to remove a number of components in the
environment that are of the more unusual type, to replace them with more
standard (accepted) components.