Re: Performance Bottleneck - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mike Benoit
Subject Re: Performance Bottleneck
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 17:25 +0200, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> > The queries themselves are simple, normally drawing information from one
> > table with few conditions or in the most complex cases using joins on
> > two table or sub queries.   These behave very well and always have, the
> > problem is that these queries take place in rather large amounts due to
> > the dumb nature of the scripts themselves.
>
> Show us the explain analyze on that queries, how many rows the tables are
> containing, the table schema could be also usefull.

If the queries themselves are optimized as much as they can be, and as
you say, its just the sheer amount of similar queries hitting the
database, you could try using prepared queries for ones that are most
often executed to eliminate some of the overhead.

I've had relatively good success with this in the past, and it doesn't
take very much code modification.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso@snappymail.ca>