Re: running only pg_autovacuum for one week - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: running only pg_autovacuum for one week
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 07:08, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Hi all,
> I did the experiment of running only the autovacuum for one week without
> running my daily autovacuum full and reindex on heavy updated/inserted
> tables.
> Yesterday I reenabled the vacuum full and reindex and, as you can see
> from the attachment, I recover 600MB of wasted space.

autovacuum is a daemon.  You don't run it once a week, you set it loose
and forget about it.  Unless you're running it then shutting it down,
running once a week is unnecessary.

Also, what are you fsm settings in the postgresql.conf file?