Re: hot_standby = on - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: hot_standby = on
Date
Re: hot_standby = on  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Well, yes. But then to stop that you could just lock users out using
> pg_hba.conf, no? It just doesn't seem to be buying all that much to me.

The main reason to turn it off is to disable a whole lot of very poorly
tested code, and thereby improve the reliability of your warm standby
server.  There might be (almost certainly are) significant performance
benefits as well.  I think it'll be at least a couple of release cycles
before any sane DBA would turn it on on standbys where he didn't
positively need it.