Re: Inherited tables and new fields - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Inherited tables and new fields
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 15:36, Jeff Boes wrote:
> Of course, had we used table inheritance, we'd do something like ...
>
>    select * from draft_template ...
>
> but it wouldn't do exactly what we are doing now: that is,
> fn_all_drafts() returns not only the contents of every row in the tables
> draft_XXXXX, but also an extra column indicating which table that row
> came from.

You can do that with an inheritance hierarchy like this:
   select tableoid::regclass as tablename, * from my_table;

>    create table all_drafts (editor_id integer) inherits draft_template;
>
> What frustrates me from time to time is that if "draft_template" is
> altered to add a new column, then the function breaks because the new
> column appears in "all_drafts" as *following* editor_id. The column
> order messes up the code in the function, because it's expecting
> all_drafts to look like draft_template, with editor_id added at the end.
>
> Is this a mis-feature?

New columns get added at the end of each table; that is standard.

========================================   "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay      down his life for
hisfriends."      John 15:13