Re: Initial performance tuning question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: Initial performance tuning question
Date
List pgsql-novice

> Lawrence Wetsel <trey_wetsel@mac.com> hat am 15. März 2016 um 20:43
> geschrieben:
>

> Hello,
>

> I am setting up a PostgreSQL instance in the cloud for a customer and a couple
> of months ago I couldn't spell PostgreSQL.
>

> I have a few questions:
>
> What should I look for in the way of performance tuning/how should I set it
> up?  RHEL and CentOS will be used.  RAM...probably between 3-4G.  I'm not sure
> about the storage type.  As for what I'm tuning...I'm more interested in
> response times than transactions per second.  Could I create a script to
> automate the performance tuning?

As a rule of thumb you can set shared_buffers to 1/4 of RAM, and you can /
should increase work_mem from default 4M to more, maybe 16M or so, but that
depends on your workload. There is more, but that depends all on your workload.

--
Andreas Kretschmer
http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/