Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 21:59, Robert Creager wrote:
> When grilled further on (Wed, 19 May 2004 21:20:20 -0400 (EDT)),
> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> confessed:
>

> > Did we ever come to a conclusion about excessive SMP context switching
> > under load?
> >

> I just figured out what was causing the problem on my system Monday.  I'm using
> the pg_autovacuum daemon, and it was not vacuuming my db.  I've no idea why and
> didn't get a chance to investigate.

Strange.  There is a known bug in the 7.4.2 version of pg_autovacuum
related to data type mismatches which is fixed in CVS.  But that bug
doesn't cause pg_autovacuum to stop vacuuming but rather to vacuum to
often.  So perhaps this is a different issue?  Please let me know what
you find.

Thanks,

Matthew O'Connor