Re: Simplifying wal_sync_method - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Simplifying wal_sync_method
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> writes:
> Automated performance testing seems like a bad idea for the buildfarm.
> Consider in my particular case I've got three members that all happen to
> be running in virtual machines on the same host.  What virtualization does
> for performance and what happens when all three members are running at the
> same time renders any results beyond useless.

Certainly a good point --- but as I noted to Andrew, we'd probably be
more interested in one-off tests than repetitive testing anyway.  So
possibly this could be handled with a different protocol, and buildfarm
machine owners could be careful to schedule slots for such tests at
times when their machine is otherwise idle.

Anyway it all needs some thought ...