Re: Huge Data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Franco Bruno Borghesi
Subject Re: Huge Data
Date
List pgsql-general
If the mentioned solution fits your needs, you could create a stored procedure using that. The postgreSQL implementation could select from pg_class, while the same function in other database could execute the select count() on the table.

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 10:25, Sezai YILMAZ wrote:
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

>Rather than doing count(*), you should either cache the count in application
>memory
>
> or analyze often and use following.
>
>'select reltuples from pg_class where relname = 'foo';

Thank you very much Shridhar. This one is responsive immediately. I
think I will use this method for gathering row count. But I complain to
break SQL standards. The code will become unmovable.

-sezai

              http://archives.postgresql.org
Attachment