Re: TPC-C and Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: TPC-C and Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>:

> >On page 7 of this document:
> >
> >"Earlier versions of Postgres were often unstable and quite often there
> were
> >even data losses. The Postgres developer team has invested a great deal of
> time
> >in regression tests, which guarantee high stability and data security.
> Releases
> >now only occur after longer Beta phases. The new versions of Postgres have
> >become considerably more effective (see box  Benchmarks ).
> >
> >There are not known to be any serious stability problems with MySQL. With
> the
> >new feature of replicability, the system has taken another major step in
> the
> >direction of increased failure safety. Especially in conjunction with PHP,
> MySQL
> >achieves good performance values in web applications (see box  Benchmarks ).
> >paper by the founder of MySQL, Michael Widenius on performance optimisation
> is
> >recommended in this respect"
> >

> >Hmmmm...
> >

> Sounds like he has Mysql And Pg confused... :-)

Yea, thats what I thought- 2001 was not that long ago...

> e.g :
>
> Recently a colleage of mine, who is fond of Mysql initiated a friendly
> challenge to the effect "Mysql can do big queries just as well as Pg".
>
> I suggested he try my Data Warehouse benchmark
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/benchw)
> with size 10 (about 10G or so).

Nice real nice.  I need to probably get that and run some test against MSSQL.
I'm working on developing my own test dataset for some environments tests in the
social services world but your software would be useful for some "raw" tests.

> I went away, produced my results (using Pg 7.4) and mailed them to
> him... however at his end - he cannot get Mysql to load the data (it
> kills his connection,.. thats nice). He is not impressed at all, and is
> considering using Pg!
>
> (he was using Mysql 4.0.15)

Once again proof is in the pudding!

> regards