Re: TPC-C and Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: TPC-C and Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com>:

> I found this article:
>
> http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/10824_1126981_Ext
>
> that is clear out dated, it's anyway a good comparison with
> mysql.
>
> Do you know if someone did the TPC-C test with
> 7.4.X version ?
>
> Googling with: TPC-C Postgres
>
> I also found this:
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/08/023-PostSQL.pdf

On page 7 of this document:

"Earlier versions of Postgres were often unstable and quite often there were
even data losses. The Postgres developer team has invested a great deal of time
in regression tests, which guarantee high stability and data security. Releases
now only occur after longer Beta phases. The new versions of Postgres have
become considerably more effective (see box  Benchmarks ).

There are not known to be any serious stability problems with MySQL. With the
new feature of replicability, the system has taken another major step in the
direction of increased failure safety. Especially in conjunction with PHP, MySQL
achieves good performance values in web applications (see box  Benchmarks ). A
paper by the founder of MySQL, Michael Widenius on performance optimisation is
recommended in this respect"

Hmmmm...

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola