Re: Re: Hey guys, check this out. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Hey guys, check this out.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
>> Maybe you guys should get some Great Bridge marketing/PR person to handle
>> stuff like this.

> After reading Ned's comments I figured that's how it got that way in
> the first place.  But that's just speculation.

It's pretty obvious that CRN's article was written after talking to a
Great Bridge marketing or PR person (and no one else :-().  GB *is*
engaged in trying to attract positive press attention to PostgreSQL
(and itself of course); I hope no one is bothered by that activity per
se.  Now without having a transcript of that conversation, it's
difficult to know whether the errors in the article should be blamed
more on the CRN reporter or more on the GB person.  I'd tend to blame
the reporter, but you might well wish to discount that as the biased
view of a GB employee.  I will say that all the GB people I talk to
understand the difference between GB and the Postgres open-source
community --- but this reporter evidently does not.

By and large, I agree with Nathan Myers' comments.  We can either see
this as a chance to educate that reporter about what open source is all
about, or we can flame her and turn her off open source completely.
Let's try to take the high road.