Re: Keepalives win32 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Keepalives win32
Date
Re: Keepalives win32  (Pavel Golub <pavel@microolap.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> What's your idea of "affecting the fewest people"?  There is no previous
>> history to be backward-compatible with, because we never supported
>> keepalive on Windows before.

> Well, starting in 9.0, keepalives in libpq will default to 'on':

Yes, which is already a change in behavior.  I don't understand why you
are worrying about "backwards compatibility" to parameter values that
weren't in use before.  I think self-consistency of the new version is
far more important than that.

> even if we use Windows defaults, those defaults might be different for
> different Windows versions.

I'm not sure if that's an issue or not, but if it is, that seems to me
to argue for #2 not #1.