Re: Making a tree with "millions and millions" of dynamic nodes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster
Subject Re: Making a tree with "millions and millions" of dynamic nodes
Date
List pgsql-general
"Bob Badour" <bbadour@golden.net> wrote in message <news:rJmdndW9eNtgeEqiRVn-iw@golden.net>...

> "John Isaacks" <jisaacks@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > I don't know how high your requirement for having an SQL interface is.
> > At my company we wrote a real-time database for the local number
> > portability, with over 40M entries, with support for variable length
> > phone numbers ( up to 10 digits ). The customer wanted the longest
> > phone number match possible. example there could 1, 12, 123 in the
> > database and the number 1234 would match to 123.
> >
> > We did it with C++ and a memory mapped file for persistence.
> > We had to use a 64bit cpu and 12G of RAM.
>
> Wow! That's only 300 bytes of RAM for every 10 digit phone number!

They must have been using Prevayler...

g/d/r

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sign the Check! <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to