Re: cross table indexes or something? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: cross table indexes or something?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jeremiah Jahn kirjutas K, 26.11.2003 kell 22:14:
> I was wondering if there is something I can do that would act similar to
> a index over more than one table.
>
> I have about 3 million people in my DB at the moment, they all have
> roles, and many of them have more than one name.
>
> for example, a Judge will only have one name, but a Litigant could have
> multiple aliases. Things go far to slow when I do a query on a judge
> named smith.

If you dont need all the judges named smith you could try to use LIMIT.

Have you run ANALYZE ? Why does DB think that there is only one judge
with name like SMITH% ?

Hannu

P.S.
Always send EXPLAIN ANALYZE output if asking for advice on [PERFORM]

Hannu