Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when...
Date
Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when...  (Marek Lewczuk <newsy@lewczuk.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 08:07, Marek Lewczuk wrote:
> Użytkownik terry@greatgulfhomes.com napisał:
>
> > You said:
> > "When I have run my application on PostgreSQL it was disaster"
> >
> > I think you meant:
> > "When I have run my application on MySQL it was disaster"
>
> Well, my english isn't perfect or it was simple mistake... but what I
> wanted to say is that my application wasn't working well with PostgreSQL
> before the db structure has been changed (new indexes). After that it
> was much better...

Yes. I think the gist of your post was "out of the box postgresql
performed like garbage compared to mysql, but then i spent some time
tweaking and tuning, taking advantage of indexes, and now it performs so
quickly that i am unable to make any changes within mysql to match
postgresql's performance"

I'm curious as to what type of application you run and what first
prompted you to switch to postgresql?

Robert Treat