Re: pg_clog problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Franco Bruno Borghesi
Subject Re: pg_clog problems
Date
List pgsql-general
The file was there, but maybe some blocks where missed (it's a fat32 fs).
Finally I reinstalled the database and the problem got solved, but now I know what to do for the next time :P

Thanks Martijn.

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 21:31, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:45:21PM -0300, Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm having problems with a database, I get the following errors while
> accesing it (from my application and from pg_dump)
>
> ERROR: Could not access status of transaction 65536
> DETAIL: Could not read from file /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog/0000
> at offset 16384: No error.
>
> I'm using postgreSQL 7.4RC2 under cygwin (on winxp). It probably got
> damagged because of a bad windows shutdown or something.
>
> My question is, is there a way to reinit pg_clog files? I had read
> somewhere about something called pgsql_fsck or something, would this
> tool fix the problem? (if yes, please tell me the correct name ;) )

Simply create the clog file as 256K of zeros. If it's missing you need to
create it. But you really shouldn't be missing it since it's the first one
created. You didn't delete anything by accident?

Hpoe this helps,
Attachment