== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 14th 2003 == - Mailing list pgsql-announce

From Robert Treat
Subject == PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 14th 2003 ==
Date
List pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 14th 2003 ==

    A few bug reports and porting issues later, all sign point to go for a
final release next week. This weekend will be spent polishing up some
last minute items and packaging of the code.  The release announcements
will have URLS for downloading, viewing the full changelog, and other
information along those lines.

    Before we get too much farther on it, let us run through the list of
items changed this last week. A bug in psql's display of help
information for ALTER SCHEMA was fixed. Process-status handling for OS X
10.3 was fixed, and a work around copy of system() on that OS was
removed. A fix came in to restore compatibility with Tcl 8.0.* and large
object handling. A problem with the parsing of CREATE INDEX command was
fixed. We now allow tab completion for ALTER TABLE dbname <tab><tab> to
show new RENAME TO option. A bug in operator handling in reltime and
tinterval was fixed. A bug that produced bogus message displays when
reading a block comment at the end of a script file.  We now force
detachment from shared memory when started   so that they do not prevent
the postmaster from deleting the shmem segment during a post-backend
crash-restart cycle.  Some final documentation tweaks went in including
a pretty good update to the WIN32 FAQ for 7.4, some notes regarding
table creation and deferring "RESTRICT"ed key checks, and a final update
of successful port reports.

    That's about it for this week. Though patches are already coming in for
7.5, I will save them for the next go around. I did want to highlight
that version 2.0 of libpqxx has been released. Libpqxx is the successor
to libpq++, you can find out more information about it at
http://pqxx.tk/.

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

libpqxx 2.0 released
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/libpqxx/news/newsfull.php?news_id=138

== PostgreSQL In the News ==

QUICK and Dirty RDBMS Tuning
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/11/13/rdbms_tuning.html

XQuery Language Expressions
http://www.informit.com/content/index.asp?product_id=%7BC7610F24%2D579E%2D4425%2D9639%2D45E657095C9E%7D

YEAR of the Open-Source Database
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22685.html

OSS reports - UK's budget watchdog shows how - not?

PHP Conference (blog)
http://www.edwardbear.org/blog/archives/000248.html

== Upcoming Events ==

Linux.Conf.Au: Adelaide, Australia: January 12-17
BOF and Tutorials presented by Gavin Sherry
http://lca2004.linux.org.au.

NordU Usenix 2004: Denmark: January 28 - February 1
Bruce Momjian will be giving PostgreSQL several tutorials
http://www.nordu.org/NordU2004/

Linux Solutions 2004: Paris, France: February 4-6
Bruce Momjian will be presenting
http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/EN/home/index.php?site=default

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 14th 2003 ==
Don't forget to read Elein Mustain's Weekly Summary of the PostgreSQL
General Mailing List http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org
http://advocacy.postgresql.org