Re: [HACKERS] Regression Testing on REL6_5_PATCHES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Regression Testing on REL6_5_PATCHES
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> I have hit an unexpected error in regression testing the
> REL6_5_PATCHES branch in preparing for 6.5.3.  For the first time, a
> test other than float or geometry failed -- with a weird result.
> Datetime failed.

Yup, it's the biannual daylight-savings-time transition weirdness.
If you look closely, all those tests assume that today midnight to
tomorrow midnight is 24 hours.  Guess what: at this time of year it
ain't.  In another day or so the results will be back to normal, at
least in the US of A.  We'll likely see another gripe or two from
overseas before the DST-switch season is over.

I've been around this project for a year and a half now, and we've
heard complaints like this at each of the three DST transitions that
I remember.  (I sent in some alarmed reports myself, first time I
saw it.)  I've tried to interest Thomas in DST-proofing the regress
tests, but he doesn't seem to think it's worth fixing.

There should be something about this in the "expected failures"
section of the regress test docs, but right at the moment I don't
see anything there.