Re: How to list which tables are available? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: How to list which tables are available?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 14:02, B.W.H. van Beest wrote:
> Thanks for the answers given. I am discovering the world of SQL ...
>
> Given the nature of all replies (they all refer to something that is
> PG-specific), I conclude that there is no generic way (i.e. something
> that will hold for all sql-compliant systems).
>
> Is that correct, and moreover, what could be the reason that such an
> listing function is not "standard" sql?

This operation is not, to my knowledge, specified by The Standard.

Thus, it's implementation-specific.

> B.W.H. van Beest wrote:
> > It seems so elementary, but how I get a list of which tables are
> > available in a database. I can't find an SQL command for this, but there
> > must be a way!
> >
> > Thanks.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft made it
popular"
David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del