Re: 7.4 Features - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: 7.4 Features
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 12:56, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 09:39, Robert Treat wrote:
> > Yes, you can :-)  pg_autovacuum and better index space management should
> > be big improvements from a maintenance standpoint.
>
> Are you sure that pg_autovacuum is sufficiently refined to be worth
> boasting about?
>
> (By which I mean, "I don't think pg_autovacuum is sufficiently refined
> to be worth boasting about" -- my understanding that it was agreed that
> a client-side implementation was just meant as a prototype.)

Well, that would bring up the whole question of how much "boasting" we
should ever do about contrib modules... I don't see anything in it's
documentation that would suggest I shouldn't run it as long as the known
issues don't cause me any heart ache.  I do think it's refined enough to
suggest folks try it out for their production apps, I can see a lot of
folks that need to distribute a self maintaining database using it as is
and being quite happy.  I would think that if it ever becomes integrated
into the main code, it wont be as a client side program, but unless
someone wants to put some disclaimers into CVS, I'll trust that it will
work for 7.4.

Robert Treat